I did a lot of gardening this weekend, which included planting more seeds, moving around seedlings, up-potting, getting rid of bolted/eaten/yucky plants or leaves, feeding the plants that remained and googling a lot of potential pest problems such as silverleaf and tomato hornworms.
I bade farewell to some spinach plants that produced a few successive baby leaves but were showing an early infestation of aphids. I also removed a batch of wild arugula which didn’t grow very well and started flowering and the last few watermelon radishes that didn’t grow any roots and instead had super sized leaves and flower stalks.
In their places, I started some more bunching onions, bush beans, lettuce, arugula, pea sprouts, spinach and alpine strawberries from seed.
Other sprouted seeds from the previous weeks’ plantings include bush beans, lemon cucumbers, watermelon, parsley and french breakfast radishes. At the moment, I could probably easily mix the cucumbers and watermelons together as they look exactly the same.
The medium-sized seedlings include cilantro, dill and basil.
And finally, the larger plants that are starting to take over the backyard…